2.16.2007

What's in a Name?

I've officially begun the countdown to The Namesake. I've been obsessing over this movie since I saw the trailer about eight months ago. Anyway, for those of you who haven't read the book it's based on it is well worth it. Here are some snippets of an interview between director Meera Nair and writer Jhumpa Lahiri about the "translation" process from book to film. I'm also just really excited about another Meera Nair film because she is very talented, and a huge analmoly in an industry that outwardly trumpets diversity while remaining pretty inclusive. If you haven't seen any of her other work Salaam Bomby and Monsoon Wedding are both worth a rental.

I should also add the caveat that while my official opinion on the novel is that it covers well tread ground, and doesn't add anything new to identity politics I have to confess that I found it really moving, and very well written.

No comments: