8.11.2006

Making a political movie without politics (here's looking at you Oliver Stone)





Although I haven't actually seen World Trade Center I have read the reviews, which as far as I'm concerned is good enough. The glowing reviews are disappointing, but no less then what I exepcted from a public that is still not prepared to think about September 11th outside of the context of patriotism. But, as much as I don't like Oliver Stone, and never had high expectations for this I'm disappointed with amount of sapiness that that this movie just ooooooozes. I mean the guy is in now way subtle, as was proven by the uber bombastic Wall Street, but if you have a huge production budget and a major studio behind you, and you get to be one of the first to make a movie about an event that is both incomprehensible, and stained in our memories you better do better then this cheese fest. I think it's irresponsible filmmaking , or just a wasted opportnity depending on how much you value film culture.

It did remind me though of a great movie I saw this year that does deal with political issues in a heavy complicated way--Cache by Michael Haneke. I think the movie was more of an intellectual exercise then an interesting narrative, but I think it was incredibly powerful in how it handled national issues by bringing them into private domestic space. I also think the surveillance stuff was really creepy, and got right at the immigrant space in France in a way that was innovative. Of course the real difference between these two (Stone and Haneke) is that one understands nuance, but I also think that one is more honest and more interested in dissecting people, which ultimately is a much more satisfying experience for the viewer. Because really--what's the point in making a political movie if you're going to make it devoid of politics?

No comments: